Friday, June 15, 2012

ENLIGHTENED MOTHERHOOD

Give Namaste


















We say Namaste in class, or maybe even when saying hello or goodbye to a special friend or teacher. We say “I salute the God within you” and in doing so we remind ourselves of the sacredness of life and of our own search for Godliness.
I’ve heard Indian parents encourage their children to say “Namaste” or “Namaskaar” like a French mom or dad would encourage a “Bonjour.”
But what does it mean? In practice?
“I salute the God in you.” It’s the most beautiful message around, one I definitely want to teach my child.
The other day I spent the afternoon with a friend from high school. We had lunch in her neighborhood and picked her son up from school afterward. That day in New York City we encountered lots of people—other mothers, teachers, the staff at the restaurant, neighbors on the street, children at school, the woman behind the cash register at the drugstore.
You get the picture.
My friend, I noticed, took more time with each person than I was used to taking, or seeing others take. It wasn’t glaringly obvious but there was an extra beat whenever she exchanged greetings or words with anyone. A look in the eye, an acknowledgement of humanity, an usually open ear to listen. A touch on the arm when appropriate.
I don’t think my friend was aware of any of this; it’s simply who she is.
I want to be more like her. To take the time to see the godliness in all of those around me. Every day. And, of course, I want to teach Lucien to do the very same.
How do you give Namaste?
Jessica Berger Gross is the author of enLIGHTened: How I Lost 40 Pounds with a Yoga Mat, Fresh Pineapples, and a Beagle Pointer (Skyhorse). She lives in Vancouver, British Columbia with her husband and four-year-old son. “Like” her author page on Facebook. Follow her on Twitter. Visit her at www.jessicabergergross.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment